Saturday, September 24, 2011

Hitting the Reset Button

First, seeing as how the very first thing that people do when they see that there is some sort of video on any given page is watch said video, I will explain it: I have no affiliation with www.pmemusic.com, they just have there website on this video, and it's a video I like for a variety of reasons, so I'm using it anyways. No, that poor soul is not me, I have never been even close to that big, but I do feel as though he is a kindred spirit. I say this because he knows he is large, but that does not stop him from having fun with it. We both take a look at some of the lemons in life that we have grown for ourselves or received, sells those lemons at a farmers market and buy banana cream pie with that money. Lots and lots of banana cream pie.
There is a reason for using this video beyond it's hilarity. This post is about trying to lose weight, committing and screwing it all up anyways. Some people call it backsliding. Now if I had the contact info for this gentlemen and his disproportionate water slide I would have requested a video of him sliding down it on his back (backslide..... get it?) But instead I will leave that aquatic adventure to your imagination.
For those of us that have lived through the joys of being rotund we know that the worst thing in the world is to fall off the horse. No, we do not hit terminal velocity faster than skinny people (a myth that I think is public service announcement worthy), but when our fall inevitably stops and our impact begins, more of us hits the ground than skinny folks. What do we do when we fall off the horse? Pick ourselves back up, dust ourselves off and clamber back on top of that comically small shetland pony. Simple enough for skinny folk, but again it's a little different for the large-and-often-not-in-charge. With greater mass we have more to pick up, with greater surface area we have more to dust off, and we feel for the shetland pony, but this must be done. We need to get back on.
So we hit the reset button and start all over. This time I've called in some additional reinforcements. I am dealing with plateaus but I've lost 20lbs. I've got 60-75 to go before I'll be happy with it. So, if you find that like our brother in the video you are slipping down a slide and your water:flesh:slide ratio is a bit skewed, know this. There is an end to the slide (enjoy the splash!) and after the slide is over you can get up and try reaching those goals again. See you on the pony.

No comments:

Post a Comment